Buckeye Woman's Club
Home

 
Club History
 
General Federation of Women’s Club-Buckeye Woman’s Club affiliated with Arizona Federation of Women’s Clubs and General Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1923. The 19 charter members were no doubt encouraged by Liberty, 7 miles to the east of Buckeye, and Palo Verde, 7 miles to the southwest, which had affiliated the year before Buckeye Woman’s Club. Arlington also had 23 very active members from about 1929 until the early 1940’s. Community activities planned by the clubs were the center of the rural social life.
 
Education and bringing books to the community for the home lending library were priorities. Buckeye did not have a high school, so some students went to Phoenix or Tempe for secondary school. In 1928 a bond election was held to build Buckeye Union High School and students were able to attend the following September.
 
         Meetings were first held in member homes. When membership grew, business or city buildings were utilized, and the lending library service would be carried there too. The old County Building (built in 1910), also housed the Buckeye Jail, was lent for library use. Club members still took turns as librarians, but the prisoners were often disruptive and frightened some of the women away. This was an incentive to work toward owning a club house. Mrs. L.A. DeRosier donated land for the clubhouse to be built (845 East Monroe). June 6, 1935 a thankful Buckeye Woman’s Club met for a pot luck dinner in their new clubhouse.  
 
 Tomorrow’s Winners is the current Special Project for Community Improvement. The 7th and 8th grade girls and boys from 9 elementary schools in 3 school districts attend 3 assemblies each school year at either Buckeye Union High School or Youngker HS.  Their focus is: 1) Plan now to complete high school and have career goals for college/career education through their school classes and volunteer activity programs  2) Healthy Life Choices for Self-esteem  3) Choose Friends and Activities for Inter-Personal Relationships and Communication.
 
           In 1938, an additional 9 feet was granted by the Yavapai Valley Bank to the club lot boundary, extending the lot to 126 feet. Building expenses: $2,107.51 clubhouse, $500.00 lumber, and $1,245.00 still owed. With fund-raising efforts, the mortgage was finally paid off and burned May 28, 1942.
 
Buckeye Junior Woman’s Club was formed February 28, 1935 and joined Buckeye Woman’s Club with many community improvement programs. March 8, 1935 the club incorporated.
 
General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. GFWC-Buckeye Woman’s Club is a non-profit, tax-exempt, charitable, and educational volunteer service organization. Affiliated with GFWC-AZ, 501 (c) 4 status is applicable to GFWC-Buckeye Woman’s Club, which is a 501 (c) 3 status.